[lit-ideas] What's THIS ?!?

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:19:10 +0200

I don't have, but - until I read the following - had been considering purchasing, an electronic book 'reader'.

In searching the Internet for William Gaddis' AGAPE, AGAPE, I noticed the following 'additional details' appended to the listing for the Adobe eBooks edition:

Adobe PDF eBook Rights
Copying not allowed
Printing not allowed
Lending not allowed
Reading aloud not allowed

The first two or three seem straightforward enough (the lending restriction seems a bit severe; it's hard to imagine not lending out a book).

BUT can it possibly be true that, should I purchase an eBook copy of this (or any other book with similar 'rights' attached), I would be agreeing (in a legally binding way) that I would not read the book aloud to a friend / loved one / family member?

Do people actually, by buying such eBooks, agree to such a restriction in (what to me is an essential component in) the life of a piece of literature?

Chris Bruce,
more thankful than ever for his
'outsider borrowing privileges'
at the local university library, in