[lit-ideas] Re: What to do about Iran: the Brookings Strategy

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:33:02 +0900

"I think the bombing of WMD sites accompanied by Special Forces on the
ground if necessary, will be a cost-effective solution."

 But look at the assumptions here: (1) That we know where the WMD
sites are—hell of a lot of mountains in Iran—how, to put it
delicately, do you solve the Osama Bin Forgotten problem? Or, worse
yet, the bunkers are buried in major urban areas, so that going after
them will involve massive, mostly civilian casualties, further
inflaming millions of Muslims around the world?  (2) That our guys are
able to get in and out without a total, God-awful crockup. These
scenarios always sound so clean and, well, "surgical." Given our
record to date, where is the cause for optimism?

I, too, read a lot of Dale Brown and Tom Clancy and get off on reading
about the boys with toys. Could you please do a bit more to reassure
us that you haven't been imbibing too freely of military thrillers and
can actually cite a few cases, even just one, in which this kind of
recommendation has ever worked as planned?

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.