[lit-ideas] Re: What the Tortoise said to Achilles

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:58:15 -0800 (PST)

It isn't just students.  Here's a slogan from the tea party retirement age
set:  "Keep your government hands off of my Medicare."  They obviously have no
clue that Medicare *is* the government.  It would be interesting to know
what people think Medicare and Social Security are.  It's been suggested that
education is deliberately lobbied against, sabotaged behind the scenes by the
1% to maintain a plutocracy.  Obviously the Founding Fathers anticipated some
version of keep your government hands off of my Medicare when they created the
electoral college. I can't remember the actual statistic from Susan Jacoby and
can't find it, but something like 30% of high school students think the Civil
War was in the 20th century.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-cesca/get-your-goddamn-governme_b_252326.html