[lit-ideas] Re: What should we call this war?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:58:25 +0900

On 2/24/06, Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The central contradiction of our times: half-in /
> half-out of globalism.

A shrewd observation. On this one I have to agree with Eric. Even if
some transnational corporations are bigger and, yes, more powerful
than many nations, nations still exist and, barring the creation of a
world government, will continue to exercise the monopoly on legitimate
use of force that is the sine qua non of sovereignty.

Interesting corollary: One of the problems with the "war" on terror is
that since terrorists are not accepted as sovereign peers of any
nation there is no terrorist authority with whom it is possible to
negotiate an end to terrorism or, if we win the "war" sign a binding
treaty.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.