[lit-ideas] Re: What is the World Coming to?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 22:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/18/2013 9:03:46 P.M. UTC-02,  profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
An American leading the rousing, "Land of Hope  and Glory"?!  Hope she
doesn't think it's a graduation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22188201
David  Ritchie,
looking ahead in
Portland, Oregon-

----

Well, I detected a typo, if that's what Grice would not call them:

"The Proms will celebrate the 200th year of Wagner's birth with
performances of his Ring cycle by Staatskapelle Berlin, conducted by
Isreali-Argentine Daniel Barenboim."

Note that it should be
‎ישראלים‎, or at most Iraeli, not Isreali.

From wiki: "Israelis (Hebrew: ישראלים‎, Yisra'elim), are citizens or
nationals of the modern state of Israel."

Grice disregards the idea of a "typo": "to think that a typo has been
commited when it hasn't is one of the most vulgar forms of disimplicature".

What fascinates me about "Land of Hope and Glory" is that melody came first
 (for once), lyrics later. In this it compares to "Danny Boy". "Land of
Hope and  Glory", by Benson/Elgar, first sung by Dame Clara Butt -- a Society
smoker  herself. J. DiDonato will re-sing.

Cheers,

Speranza

---