[lit-ideas] "What is it like to be a Robin" (Was: What is it like to be a Batman)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:28:57 EST

R. Paul wonders:

"What it is like to have lost a fortune in  the stock market?"

"What it is like to have won the  Olympic 400 meters?"

"What it is like to be an  80-year-old woman dying of cancer?"

"I suspect that the whole concept of 'knowing  what it is like to...' is
under-explored."

Do others agree? I tried my best in Mitchell Paradox Redux  but was
_blatantly_ ignored, so I'm here requoting R. Paul's three original  examples.

I seem to remember some bibliography (or literature) on  this, "What is it
like to be a _bat_?, by NYC professor, Thomas Nagel, and  others. The Nagel
article is online.

Cheers,

JL
   Philosopher, etc.
         Buenos Aires,  Argentina.

        PS. Batman and  Robin, is there any clue that they were
_heterosexual_?