[lit-ideas] What in hell ...

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:18:56 +0100

Writing of George Crumb's 'Black Angels' brought the following anecdote, related to me by a friend in Canada about 15 years ago, to mind:.

For some reason his stereo system turned itself on in the middle of the night, blasting out the opening tones of 'Black Angels' at a volume that sat him and his wife bolt upright in the bed, clutching each other and wondering (more or less literally) what in hell was going on ....

Those who know 'Black Angels' will understand. Even now just *thinking* of the beginning of that recording tightens the muscles of my chest and raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about - I've just found a video of the opening movement (I'm not sure who is performing). Imagine this unexpectedly at full volume in the middle of the night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5OsuzSXU-k&feature=related

-cb