[lit-ideas] Re: What are we doing here?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:03:04 -0600

You're not alone, Ursula, in finding solace, comfort, encouragement, challenge, strength, enlightenment, inspiration, immense amusement and rilement (probably not a recognized word yet, give me time) through this list. Also, let me say, lest you think me a romantic twit, it's a place to find inanity, stultifying repetition, and aggravation enough to cause thoughts of suicide. But they are the valleys that point to the heights. I do deeply regret the schism that split off those conservative voices -- though hopelessly misguided in their thinking : ) they were on the whole very intelligent and challenging voices. As long as one has no illusions of converting another, diversity of opinion is always beneficial to one's own thinking, I believe. I like knowing that John Wager fought in Vietnam and believed in what he was doing and makes no apologies for it. It's never made me waver in my outrage at the war, but it broadens me to have to account for his experiences and thoughts. I respect him for his courage and forthrightness and service to us all as he saw himself called upon to do. Though I've always "sympathized" with those who were sucked up into that war, I don't think I'd have the appreciation for what many must have thought were it not for John's relevant posts. I point to him only as representative of many who've made me think beyond my prejudices in many regards. Also I like it that non-professionals like myself feel free and secure enough to submit their poetry to the list as the spirit moves them. I've always been demosic (my word) when it comes to art. Perhaps this list is just a very, very long winded free-verse poem about us all. Or maybe an ancient Greek play. Yes, I like that notion. We're all the Greek plays jammed together. The chorus is hopelessly lost. There are times I need to free myself from the list to attend to my writing -- but I always have to come back. I thank you all.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>