[lit-ideas] "What Is Narrated"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:44:49 EDT

Eric Yost writes

But  from the point of view of the production of a narrative, rather than
from
the vicarious analysis of literary products, form is the solution for  the
problems of content. Form is the solution to the problem you set  yourself by
the
content you select.
We spend our lives learning  different narrative forms, forms that may have
unconscious roots, that  we may sometimes intuit rather than analyze--and
when we
write, it is  this lifelong immersion in narrative form that we draw upon.
It's like a  guitarist improvising on a chord progression. The progression
lets you  know where you are going, except in writing improvised forms, you
edit
out the improvs that fail. The result is the unique and inseparable form  of
the
narrative.

-----

Thanks for the comments on 'narration' and 'form' and 'content'. I wonder  if
narration necessarily necessitates (as it were) some kind of content. It
seems that it does, but maybe it does not. I mean, "He narrated that..." --
seems like 'narrate' you have to narrate _something_ (more like 'prose' than
'poetry'). But I believe Yost is using 'narrate' in a more general way to
include
poetry and, say, drama. I have not checked the etymology of 'narrate' --  not
that it would matter much, but wonder if 'narrare' was essentially concerned
with the _telling_ of a _tale_ -- as when we say, "not much of a  narration".

Cheers,

JL