[lit-ideas] Re: What I Learned Today...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:26:28 -0700

On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

Are we speaking of 'your' novel? A pox on their house...
Ursula

Alas, yes.

Here's a re-casting of our dialog:

Anon Lit Agent: Yours is a charming philosophical novel, but it
needs to have more moral and psychological suspense to hook
readers and editors. No one's heart was broken and there was no risk someone might suffer a terrible fate...[snip]...the second half was too whimsical for me.

D: Of course, but is this not also true of all farce and particularly true
in the models I followed: Candide and P.G. Wodehouse?

Anon: I know! I was reminded of Candide. Not much in the way of Candide-esque
novels being published these days, unfortunately...

I didn't think to say, "Surely solving the mystery of the silver cow creamer and the packets of string is suspense enough for anyone?" I'll try selling it in Britain next. Surely they haven't given up on whimsy?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon