[lit-ideas] What Every School-Boy Knows

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:22:14 EST

McCreery:

"One conclusion, however, is sure. Oxford dons poring over their  local
dialect of English and approaching their project in a spirit that  requires
the constant challenge of assumptions  may produce all sorts of  charming or
interesting comments. Knowledge they cannot be."

-- and then minutes ago, I've just posted a LOONG post on one Oxford don I
like
which thus McCreery, upon fear of gagging, will ignore.

But I cannot see how you can be so sure about the conclusion. Do you _know_
it.

Also, it's not clear what 'they' refers to in your final sentence in the
passage above.

Surely the charming don's 'assumption' is never _claimed_ to be  'knowledge'.

Knowledge is demystified by the Oxford don. It's placed in  perspective,
within philosophy of perception, and so-called 'epistemology'.
Is discussed by Englishmen vis a vis other Englishmen to rectify
the Englishmen's conception on how to use 'know'.
They will not accept 'prescriptions' -- and each don -- but not  necessarily
his tuttee -- will put forward his definition to _calm_ his Socratic
zeal for "maieuticks", not because he has to please, God forbid,
Popper or Feyerabend.

Cheers,

J. L. S.
   B. A., Argentina