[lit-ideas] What Darwin Inferred, What Darwin Implied

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 21:51:18 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/28/2013 1:14:55 P.M. UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx was quoting from Lennox:

"It is an unfortunate  fact that Charles Darwin’s theory of  evolution by
natural selection is  typically discussed either as a  speculative leap of
genius or as the  inevitable product of various  sorts of religious,
political, scientific and  philosophical influences  on him. In this
lecture I will present Darwin’s  discoveries in a very  different light,
as the product of Darwin constantly  asking questions  and pursuing long
and complex chain of inductive reasoning  in which  his ability to
integrate apparently unrelated abstractions —“large   classes of facts” as
he sometimes refers to them in On the Origin of   Species—plays the key
role. To explore these aspects of Darwin’s research  I  rely on the large
mass of unpublished notes, notebooks and  correspondence  (now available
online) for it is here that one sees  Darwin’s uncommon powers  of
inductive reasoning at work."

and commenting:

"Perhaps someone might care to flesh out this claimed "inductive
reasoning" so we can see how "inductive" it really is - or reveal whether this
is
just yet another of those traditional but fraudulent claims made as to the
role of "inductive reasoning" in science by people who really should better by
 now?"

Mmm.

People (usage theorists) say that people confuse 'infer' and 'imply' and I
do -- but perhaps the confusion is apt here.

One thing is what Darwin inferred (inductively, deductively,  abductively,
what have you).

Another thing is what Darwin IMPLIED (if anything -- or  'implicated').

In other (quite other) words: one thing is Darwin's "context of discovery";
 quite another his "context of justification" (I think the distinction is
Popper's).

McEvoy was not convinced with my rambling thoughts on why Darwin was an
inductivist. I was suggesting that, as a Griceian, you give me an instance of
"p" (for any proposition "p") and I can tell you, by mere inspection of
"p",  whether "p" was reached inductively, deductively, abductively, or what
not.

And I was suggesting that, since OBVIOUSLY Darwin's "p" is of the type it
is, Darwin MUST have arrived at it "inductively".

Or not, of course,

Cheers,

Speranza

----
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/infer

"There are two ways in which the word "infer" is sometimes used as if it
meant "imply". "Implication" is done by a person when making a "statement",
whereas "inference" is done to a proposition after it had already been made
or  assumed. Secondly, the word "infer" can sometimes be used to mean
"allude" or  "express" in a suggestive manner rather than as a direct
"statement".
Using the  word "infer" in this sense is now generally considered
incorrect. [1] [2]"
Imply or Infer?

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000232.htm
Imply means "to state indirectly."
Infer means "to draw a conclusion."
You may infer something from an implication, but you would not imply
something from an inference.

Incorrect: She implied that he was from Canada by his accent.

Correct: She inferred that he was from Canada by his accent.

Incorrect: The poem inferred that the lover was unfaithful.

Correct: The poem implied that the lover was unfaithful.

Correct: He inferred from the poem that the lover was unfaithful.