[lit-ideas] We ex-Marines

  • From: Austin Meredith <Kouroo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 05:29:37 -0400

> Lawrence is probably the only person on this list who knows what war is
> like, how terrible and chaotic.

This is an astonishing statement, unless you mean that Lawrence has some
special insight into the terror and chaos of war denied the rest of us.
Lawrence was in the Marines, true. But others on the list have also
served in the military, and at least two, John Wager (who posted about
his reaction to hearing of the Kent State killings, while in Vietnam,
just days ago) and Bill Ball, have actually been in combat.

I'm on the list too, although I seldom post. I think Lawrence and I are the two ex-Marines.

Since leaving the United States Marine Corps, it would seem that Lawrence and I have gone in rather different directions, as I have become a Quaker and Lawrence has not.

He and I have met in the very flesh, and we have been polite with one another. I don't find it difficult to get Lawrence's points -- since I have a vivid memory of what my mind was like when I thought exactly the way he still does.