[lit-ideas] Re: We Can't Stand the Sight of Mattress Fragrant Grass

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:50:51 +0900

Stories like this have been circulating forever; OK, at least since Ruth and
I first traveled to Asia in 1969. There used to be a columnist (his name
evades me) who did a regular column on them in The Far Eastern Economic
Review.
I wonder if they will change the famous sign above the water fountain in the
Shanghai Airport, the one that reads,

"This water has been passed by the inspectors."

John

On 9/2/07, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Odd translations are an old story, but there are one or two here that
> you may enjoy:
>
> http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1391532007
>

> David Ritchie,
> Portland, Oregon