[lit-ideas] Re: Waterboarding Bodies Mattered

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:37:43 -0400

Omar: This seems like a globalization of the US legal system, but with one set of laws for US citizens and another for those who are not. I find it objectionable to think that I might legally be detained in Pakistan, and legally taken to the US to be legally tortured by waterboarding, all this provided for by the legal system of a country that is not my own, and which would not apply the same provisions to its own citizens. You have no problem with this ?

That certainly is one way to look at it. Another way is that 9/11 constituted an act of war by an international affiliation of combatants who, not representing any nation, were therefore not protected by any nation. Since it was an act of war, they were subject to capture by any means necessary.

The same applies to Nazi war criminals, no? Lots of snatch and grabs occurred with those, yet their capture did not bring the unsuspecting host nations under Israeli law.