[lit-ideas] Re: Was gezeigt werden kann, kann nicht gesagt werden.

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:35:52 -0700

JL wrote

McEvoy is considering whether PI, and not just TLP, abide by

TLP

4.1212.

Was gezeigt werden kann, kann nicht gesagt werden.
What can be shown cannot be said.

cfr.
4.115
It will signify what cannot be said, by presenting clearly what can be
said.

Discuss vis a vis Grice on

saying that
showing that
telling
and the rest of it.

And the 'rest of' what?

(I'm beginning to dislike the very word 'Grice,' intensely.)

/Investigations/ §23:

But how many kinds of sentence are there? Say assertion,
question, and command?---There are countless kinds: countless different
kinds of use of what we call "symbols", "words", "sentences". And
this multiplicity is not something fixed, given once for all; but new
types of language, new language-games, as we may say, come into
existence, and others become obsolete and get forgotten. (We can get a
rough picture of this from the changes in mathematics.)
Here the term "language-game" is meant to bring into prominence
the fact that the speaking of language is part of an activity, or of a form
of life.

Review the multiplicity of language-games in the following
examples, and in others:
Giving orders, and obeying them---
Describing the appearance of an object, or giving its measurements
Constructing an object from a description (a drawing)---
Reporting an event---
Speculating about an event---

Robert Paul