[lit-ideas] Re: Was Wittgenstein a Wittgensteinian?

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:56:48 +0600

Walter O. wrote:

"Just as Marx was probably a Marxist."

If you want to understand Marxism, read Marxists. If you want to
understand Marx, read Marx. It seems to me that these are two
different kinds of activities.

Of course, a philosopher may be so taken by their reception that they
join their adoring fans. Derrida seems to have suffered this fate and
became a Derridean. Heidegger, would be another example.

But I don't see Wittgenstein as having taken this path.

When I first read the subject line, my first thought was of the
question whether the standard meter in  Paris is a meter long.

Just Phil