[lit-ideas] Was Heidegger's nickname Heidy?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:23:32 -0600

Lawrence isn't the only one struggling with Heidegger.  I was googling
"Heidegger jokes" and came across "The Valve: A Literary Organ", the question
of the day was How Heideggerian Are You?"  To quote the Valve: "And let me just
ask the humanists among you (that's most of you, I expect): just how
Heideggerian are you? How much of the stuff that matters to you can be traced
back, significantly, to Heidegger? If you don't know a damn thing about
Heidegger, how seriously confused are you, sitting in a graduate seminar?"  [I
did that - didn't know a damn thing about Heidegger but sat through a graduate
seminar. I was thoroughly confused].

     http://www.thevalve.org/go/valve/article/how_heideggerian_are_you/

Here are three of the posts I liked most:

By ben wolfson on 11/10/09 at 12:48 PM

I studied Heidegger as an undergraduate and fell in love with him for his dark
turgid philosophical prose, convinced as many undergraduates are, that
Heidegger is fingering something grand and luminous and ethereal and
transformative. As a graduate student, I fell in love with Heidegger all over
again, but this time because I discovered his arguments to be so appallingly
bad and his ontology so wrong-headed in the extreme (confusing as it does the
phenomenological order of experience for the fundamental structure of reality)
that it allowed me to overcome some lazy intellectual habits.

Regards,
Kevin

         [ It's scary how close to home that post hits. ]

              * * * * *

By John Holbo on 11/10/09 at 08:28 PM

I'm so Heideggerian that German is all Greek to me!

By Adam Roberts on 11/11/09 at 04:37 AM

..I read him in college and found that he suffered from the classic
philosophers' mania: he felt compelled to express, as turgidly as possible,
ideas which are best conveyed through the arts.

            [ Amen! ]

Mike Geary

Memphis