[lit-ideas] Re: Warrior world.

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:41:34 -0500

Donal:
"Come now. This is more "jejune" than "jesuit"."

: )   I resemble that remark.

"Surely there are often competing authorities and therefore, in choosing
between them, we cannot - logically - be deciding which to submit to "simply
because it is 'authority'."

I had in mind the willing submission to military authority.  How willing it
is, might be of question, but obedience is not.

.
"Hard to discern where these figures come from...."

My head.

"the capacity for violence clearly crosses the gender divide..."

Yes, I conceded that.  However the incident rate of violent behavior is
overwhelming attributable to males.

"there are reasons, connected with the greater risks of death and serious
injury, why men would be more wary of male-male violence than a woman need
be wary of female-female... as violence between females very rarely results
in death or grievous injury [aside from being rarer].... "

Thank you for arguing my case.

"Hold on. Jesus was a misogynic fascist?"

I don't know.  I assume Jesus was one of hundreds if not thousands of
itinerant preachers wandering around preaching a "purer" religion, one not
corrupted by Sadducean or Pharisaical  institutionalism.  More of an Essene
or a Gnostic.  I don't believe he believed he was God.  Nor was he, in my
beliefs.  If the Scriptures give an accurate account of Jesus's beliefs,
then, no, I don't think he was a misogynistic fascist.  But he was not the
founder of Christianity, St. Paul was and he was decidedly a fascistic
misogynist.  As were all the Fathers of the Church and such "great"
theologians as Thomas Aquinas and a startling number of  Western
philosophers.  Men hate women because they need them.

"25% is not many?"

Not compared to 75%.

"We may as well say not many women were either."

How many tens of thousands constitutes "many" for you?

Mike Geary
Memphis