[lit-ideas] Re: Warrior world.

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:38:23 -0700

On May 23, 2010, at 9:39 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

I should have written "men are those who are willing to do what has to be done..."

I can't tell you all the back story to the back story. But suffice it to say that the person to whom I was writing has cancer and was thinking of comparing that disease to the weed, Creeping Charlie. My note went:

I have two responses, one of which has a bit of a backstory. I got all teary last night while watching a PBS program about Joan Baez. There she was, certain that resistance to the draft was the right thing, standing outside the Oakland depot, getting arrested and sent to jail. Then, fresh out of jail, back to get arrested again. And here she was in Hanoi, underneath the densest carpet bombing since the Second World War. You can see how shaken she is, how pleased to be alive. Right at the end of the movie they showed her singing a duet with her sister, Mimi, who was yet more beautiful and who had a lovely voice. The two of them must have been in their early twenties. And after bravery and non-violence and oral and visual beauty...here comes the punch line, "Mimi died of cancer." So what happened when I read "Creeping Charlie"? My mind skipped to Vietnam. Probably wouldn't happen to most people on most days. The second response is that many people in my neighborhood aim at total eradication of weeds, the final solution, by chemical means. Personally I reduce the weeds' density, and live with the rest.

One supplemental memory of the Baez program, one which for me resolves the whole violence-male/female thing. Baez says she was promiscuous and that she wanted to mold Dylan into an activist that he just wasn't ready to be. She portrayed herself as a sexual aggressor in the cause of non-violence. And she said that she was an inattentive mother, interrupting reading to her son when the phone rang with a call to setting the world a'right.

Late in the program she appeared on stage with her son, who has turned out fine (by documentary film standards). Then she agreed to go to Sarajevo. Here, then, was the climax of the narrative, Sniper Alley. I thought, "How on earth is this the climax? What's she going to do, sing "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down" to the besieged population, who are getting picked off by shells and snipers?" No. She met up with 'the Cellist of Sarajevo,' and I'm sorry if it's a trite scene but it worked for me. A shell had killed people lining up at a bakery. The cellist decided that he would don his tuxedo and play, in full view of the enemy, at the place where they'd last had "success." Baez watched the re-creation of this moment and then, with flak jacket on--wisdom comes but slowly, but it comes-- sat in his chair, in that exact spot, to sing "Amazing Grace," knowing that one guy with one command could eradicate her. What a voice.

Possibly some Serb men were not willing to do what had to be done, or, through their contemporary sights they saw full well that it was Joan Baez?

I am convinced that there is a spectrum of male and female brains. How the traits are distributed and how they are shaped by circumstance, that is for experts in Fields to parcel out. I have studied bravery and violence, women and history, and still I understand very little. I do know, however, that if I have any kind of courage at all--and I hope I do--it isn't her kind.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon