[lit-ideas] Re: Warrior world.

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 13:23:16 -0400

<I once asked a female friend what her most basic idea of "male" was and she
said men are those who can do what has to be done, whatever it is.>

Mike, it is unfortunate that you didn't discuss this further. Perhaps what needs to be done is fix the freezer or find someone who knows how to do it. Or care for a child for a few hours so she can sleep. I once read a woman's letter to some advice giver in a newspaper. She was getting ready to divorce her husband when she called him and said she was in an accident with her car. His first response was, "was anyone hurt?" She said she fell in love with him again.

Talking about men being more violent than women is only partially useful. Too many variables operating on both. But women can be extremely violent and there too much variation in each individual. But I agree that men are probably more violent because they are given permission. On the other hand, women seem to me to excel in passive aggression. A few years ago an organization was formed called "Men Against Rape." Never heard of them again. Certainly not in a context where they could actually be helpful. For example, letting rape kits sitting in police stations but never analyzed. So who knows how many women have been raped by the same few men?

In the May 10th issue of "Newsweek" there are a series of articles about war and soldiers. It's probably on line too. I found it quite interesting. It reminded me of a soldier released from service and he reenlisted. He said he missed the killing. This was during the Vietnam War, in a letter to the editor somewhere. I also worked for someone who was in two wars and said the war years were the best years of his life. I understand that. Where else is there that kind of excitement? Having been a kid in that same environment as a civilian, my take on it is that it was more terror than excitement. But then, live or die, my life was in the hands of one soldier or another.

There was a situation here a week ago in which a man thought he did what had to be done. His car was high jacked, he whipped out his gun, shot at the thief, who got out and ran. Unfortunately, the bullet went astray and killed a 65 year old woman sitting in her home. So much for being ready to deal with criminals by carrying loaded guns.

Veronica Caley

Milford MI

----- Original Message ----- From: <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5/21/2010 2:22:39 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Warrior world.

On 5/19/2010 9:46 PM, Mike Geary wrote:
> Why do men like violence?  Do women?
>
> Mike Geary

Funny you should ask. I just completed a course taught by Robert
Sapolsky called, "The Biology of Human Behavior."

There is no one factor that determines human behavior, or aggression in
particular. Blaming testosterone is not only scientifically incorrect,
it's foolish. Aggressive behavior, in mammals like us, is -- among the
known factors --genetic, ecological, cultural, neonatal, social,
neurological, and influenced by random stressors. The way they combine
determines aggression in men and women.

The way people divide into Dems and GOPers is also aggressive in
essence. It reflects the practice of "pseudo-kinship," the creating of
artificial kinship groups (pastoral military groups, modern "bands of
brothers," etc.) to enhance the likelihood of sacrificing for ones
pseudo-kin in aggressive acts, ultimately leading to
"pseudo-speciation," where one views the non-pseudo-kinfolk as
"inhuman," thereby enabling aggressive acts.

The John Stewart Clan feels perfectly righteous in hating the Bill
O'Reilly Clan and vice versa. Of course, this is part of how people are
manipulated by media.

Eric