[lit-ideas] Re: War on terror ...

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:47:36 -0800

Ah, I see.  Well, unfortunately we can't usually do that sort of thing.
There may have been exceptions during the Cold War but no recent ones that I
know about.  The sort of pressure we can apply is at a higher level.  For
example, when we were worried about whether a Pakistani Islamist nuclear
scientist was giving weapons to Al-Quaeda we put enormous pressure on
Musharaff to get his nukes under total control (according to George
Friedman).  We threatened to go in there and take care of the matter if he
couldn't (again according to George Friedman), but we didn't actually do it,
and Musharaff did.

For those who think Iraq was not the logical next step (in the War against
Terror) after Afghanistan, there was a time when that next step could have
been Pakistan (despite their nukes).  That it wasn't is largely thanks to
Musharaff.

Lawrence

  _____