[lit-ideas] War on terror ...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:10:56 EST

Speaking of all the things we are doing to keep our country safe from
terrorism .....

_http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/05/cole.escape/index.html_
(http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/05/cole.escape/index.html)

USS Cole plotter escapes prison

(CNN) -- Interpol has issued "an urgent  global security alert" after 23
"dangerous individuals" -- including a man  identified as the mastermind of the
attack on the USS Cole in 2000 --  escaped from a Yemeni prison.
The international crime-fighting organization said Sunday at least 13  of the
23 who escaped Friday were "convicted al Qaeda terrorists, some of  whom were
involved in attacks on U.S. and French ships in 2000 and  2002."
"Al Qaeda terrorists have been deemed a serious threat to the entire  world
community by the U.N. Security Council, by Interpol and by a wide  range of
countries," Interpol Secretary General Ronald K. Noble said in  the statement.
They escaped via a 140-meter (150-yard) -long tunnel "dug by the  prisoners
and co-conspirators outside," Interpol said.
"Their escape cannot be considered an internal problem for Yemen  alone."
Among the escapees was Jamal Ahmed Badawi, considered the mastermind  behind
the attack on the USS Cole on October 12, 2000.
Badawi was sentenced to death in September 2004 for plotting the  attack. Two
suicide bombers blew up an explosives-laden boat next to the  destroyer while
the destroyer was in the Aden, Yemen, harbor for a routine  fuel stop.
The attack killed 17 sailors and wounded 39 others.
The FBI released a statement saying that information about the escape  was
"currently coming in through government channels."
"We are closely monitoring the situation at this time and we will work  with
our domestic and international partners to actively pursue these  dangerous
terrorists through the means we have available," the statement  said.
Also among the escapees was Fawaz Yahya Al-Rabeei, one of those  responsible
for attacking the French tanker Limburg in  2002.