[lit-ideas] Re: War and Panic

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:10:56 -0800

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:00 AM, Eric Yost wrote:

EY> However if you want to refute Hanson, start naming lasting EY> periods of peace in world history that resulted from indecisive EY> wars. Do that and his whole thesis crumbles. I thought somebody EY> might try to do that, or at least think of one exception. I can't EY> think of a historical situation that runs counter to Hanson's EY> thesis. Can you?

Off the top of my head, here is the beginning of an answer:

Consider the crusades. You take an army, invade the Holy Land, rampage, burn, pillage, "teach them a lesson," win what would seem to be a pretty complete victory and what happens? The believers return for another round.

Consider early siege warfare. Standard practice was to give those in a castle a chance to surrender. If they refused, when the castle fell everyone was put to the sword. Complete victory. Did this prevent their friends and relatives from planning a counter-attack sometimes generations hence?

Third consideration--many, if not most wars in history were settled by peace treaties. The wars resumed if the combatants saw some reason to resume; they did not if no one could think of one. The level of defeat I would say was nearly irrelevant to this matrix.

Fourth consideration--Napoleon. Would anyone really argue that the Hundred Days happened because the French felt incompletely defeated and that the defeat at Waterloo was somehow more complete? No. Napoleon had suffered worse defeats than Waterloo. What was different after Waterloo is that Napoleon was finally and completely removed from power.

Fifth consideration. The nineteenth century passed in Europe with only the Crimean and Franco-Prussian wars and continuing "trouble in the Balkans." Was this long period of near-peace the result of crushing the French?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon