[lit-ideas] Re: War and Panic

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:23:01 -0500

It's a no brainer that if you kill the other guy, he won't bother you.
Hanson has to be talking about defensive wars.  It might be why we're
having our butts kicked in Iraq.  Most losers in war are the ones who
started the war.  Even Napoleon eventually.  It takes nothing to get people
psyched for war.  Especially it doesn't take any brain power.  It's all
visceral, adrenaline, emotion, like a giant football game.  It's fun.
Peace is boring.  It takes brain power, it has to be worked at.  Who needs
more work?  It's curious that Hanson says that war has been the mainstay of
mankind and peace the interlude, yet peace comes from war.  That's like
saying a play comes from the intermission.  What am I missing about his
premise, other than he likes a nice bloody war to end all wars?