[lit-ideas] Re: War and Panic

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:26:25 -0500

>>True we have the sterling examples of Athens annihilating Melos and Rome erasing Carthage but in neither case did it produce peace for those states.

Sorry, you missed the whole point of the post.

The viewpoint Hanson chose is that of the victor-in-relation-to-the-vanquished. Carthage never attacked Rome again. Of course Rome fought other wars; that wasn't the point.

However if you want to refute Hanson, start naming lasting periods of peace in world history that resulted from indecisive wars. Do that and his whole thesis crumbles. I thought somebody might try to do that, or at least think of one exception. I can't think of a historical situation that runs counter to Hanson's thesis. Can you?

For Hanson, war is the norm of human history. Peace is the brief and fortunate interval between wars. Hanson asked, "What caused those brief and fortunate intervals of peace?" He concluded that the longest periods of peace in human history followed decisive conflicts, where one side annihilated another. If the adversary remains unconvinced of their total defeat, new wars break out soon enough. Without those decisive defeats, peacemaking is just an impotent Neville Chamberlain act.