[lit-ideas] Re: War Is War

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 02:28:08 -0500

No, no, no, no.  Sheesh, it's embarrassing having to correct a linguistic
philosopher about the workings of language, but I have no choice.

JL: "Since I detect no pattern, it is difficult for me to follow  Geary's
point:"

I'm a stranger to all your algebraic looking symbols for speech, but I think
you know what I mean.  Positing a subject (a word) and using the same word
as the predicated about the subject  -- that's a tautology only if the
meaning of the predicate is identical to the subject.  I submit that very
rarely ever happens in human speech.  I'm quite sure your linguistic
sophistication can work through this.  "A rose is rose is a rose is a rose"
is not a tri-tautology.  Each "rose" carries with it a philosophical
universe of it's own.  If you don't believe me go ask Alice. If I say: "I am
me."  It doesn't mean I'm the person standing in from of you, it could mean
many things depending on the circumstances in which it was uttered -- I'm
me!  I'm not.....(whatever, whoever) you think I am or should be or need me
to be. I'm just me.

Anyhowsomever, I have to get up in 6 hours and amateur philosophizing won't
pay the rent.  Work it out among yourselves.

Good night and goodness to all.
Mike Geary
Memphis