[lit-ideas] Re: Walter vs Robert

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:41:28 -0700

As Judy now knows, there is a competition to be held this weekend here in Oregon (but first envisioned by folk in Nova Scotia) to race huge floating pumpkins across a pond, and the question inquiring minds want settled is whether philosophers have the stuff it takes to prevent a pond-going pumpkin from spinning in circles. I assumed, perhaps in error, given the geographic background to the contest, that you and Robert Paul would be among the first to prove the vessels.

David Ritchie
keep his bilge dry in
Portland, Oregon

On Oct 26, 2007, at 11:06 AM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

This is indeed a very strange list. To my great wonderment - I have long since ceased to be astonished given my 3 and 50 years - I find myself in competition
with somebody called "Robert." Would that be our very own Robert Paul
perchance? In which case, I would be more than happy to engage RP in duels of chess, fencing, scrabble, table tennis, preparation of pork rib roast with
Russian dumplings, and correct understandings of Kant's moral theory,
Heidegger's fundamental ontology, and Habermas's Discourse Ethics (to name just
a few.) Awaiting apprisings of what the hell is going on ...

Walter O.
Preparing a sirloin beef tip roast to die for, mit caesar salat and baked
potatoes.

Quoting Judith Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

You'll have to pass the
screen that asks you to enter a zip code and an age and a gender

unless you're an alien (check 'not in the US' and get a pass on
age and 'gender')!

and you'll find shots of people racing half-ton
pumpkins...

weird... now to Hallowe'en in Oregon,

Judy Evans, Cardiff