[lit-ideas] Re: Walmart vs. General Motors: The future of work in America

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:10:58 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2005 8:50:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Likewise the  philanthropic Bill Gates is
in the vanguard of exporting tech jobs to  India.

HI,
I've been swamped but will hopefully have time to catch up on all the
list-mail.

In the meantime, as I have been catching up on several lists, one of the
other ones posted this. Since I always want lit-ideas to be as close to the
cutting edge of information as possible, I am posting it here. My apologies if
all of you already had heard of this. As I said--life has been a bit much for
some time but should (hopefully) have at least two days to calm down before
other activities.

Best,
Marlena in Western Missouri
(where if you are a music teacher, you best not plan on a "Holiday Concert"
or even secular Christmas songs...you'll get fired. Here you can have a Winter
 Concert. Andreas' Republican Christians are okay with this--Christmas is too
 secular they state anyway and they not only boycott Christmas tree buying
but  shopping for gifts is ridiculous anyway. Giving is not something most of
them  are 'into'.  It's more the 'cultural Christians' who have a problem with
the "Happy Holiday" versus "Merry Christmas".  Most of them, if you asked,
don't believe in G-d or are 'spiritual but not religious' and don't attend
church. [and, actually, are probably not even Republicans...though here in
Missouri there is a lot of confusion about what party you really belong
to...and
why. Having Jack Danforth back is [at least in Western Missouri] adding to that

confusion with his ads on radio speaking to being Pro-Life and Pro-Stem Cell
Research...but that is another conversation, too!].  Actually--there *are*
Democrats who are Christians--but most people don't know that, at least it
seems  in California. It is true that the term "Christian" has been hijacked
from
the  traditional aspects of why a lot of people are "Christian"...But, that,
too is  another post as I finish my thoughts on that thread (unless we've moved
too far  onward...I'll see as I read through...)

In the meantime,

FYI:
Subject: Outsourcing the Presidency

Congress today announced  that  the office of President of the United
States of   America  will be outsourced to India as of November 12,   2005.

The move is being made to save the  President's $400,000  yearly salary,
and also a record $521 billion in deficit  expenditures  and related
overhead the office has incurred during the last 5   years.

"We believe this is a wise move financially. The cost  savings  should
be significant," stated Congressman Thomas Reynolds  (R-WA).  Reynolds,
with the aid of the Government Accounting Office,  has  studied
outsourcing of American jobs extensively. "We cannot expect  to  remain
competitive on the world stage with the current level of  cash  outlay,"
Reynolds noted.

Mr. Bush was informed by email  this morning  of his termination.
Preparations for the job move have  been underway for  sometime.
Gurvinder Singh of Indus Teleservices,  Mumbai, India, will be assuming
the office  of President as of November  12th.

Mr. Singh was born in the United  States while his Indian  parents were
vacationing at Niagara  Falls, thus making him eligible for  the
position. He  will receive a salary of $320 (USD) a month but with  no
health coverage or  other benefits.

It is believed that Mr.  Singh will be able to handle his  job
responsibilities without support  staff. Due to the time  difference
between the US and India, he will be  working primarily at  night, when
few offices of the US Government will  be open. "Working nights  will
allow me to keep my day job at the  American Express call  center,"
stated Mr. Singh in an exclusive  interview. "I am excited about  this
position. I always hoped I would be  President someday."

A  Congressional spokesperson noted that while  Mr. Singh may not be
fully aware  of all the issues involved in the  office of President,
this should not be a  problem because Bush was not  familiar with the
issues either. Mr. Singh will  rely upon a script tree  that will enable
him to respond effectively to most  topics of concern.  Using these
canned responses, he can address common  concerns without  having to
understand the underlying issues at  all.

"We know  these scripting tools work," stated the  spokesperson.
"President Bush  has used them successfully for years." Mr.  Singh may
have problems with  the Texas drawl, but lately Bush has  abandoned the
"down home" persona  in his effort to appear intelligent and on  top of
the Katrina  situation.

Bush will receive health coverage,  expenses, and salary  until his
final day of employment. Following a two-week  waiting period,  he will
be eligible for $240 a week unemployment for 13  weeks.  Unfortunately
he will not be eligible for Medicaid, as his  unemployment  benefits
will exceed the allowed limit.

Mr. Bush has been   provided the outplacement services of Manpower, Inc.
to help him write  a  rŽsumŽ and prepare for his upcoming job
transition. According to  Manpower,  Mr. Bush may have difficulties in
securing a new position due  to limited  practical work experience. A
Greeter position at Wal-Mart  was suggested due  to Bush's extensive
experience shaking hands and  phony smile.

Another  possibility is Bush's re-enlistment in the  Texas Air National
Guard. His  prior records are conspicuously vague but  should he choose
this option, he  would likely be stationed in Waco, TX  for a month,
before being  sent to Iraq, a country he has visited.  "I've  been there,
I know all about Iraq," stated Mr. Bush, who  gained  invaluable
knowledge of the country in a visit to the Baghdad  Airport's terminal
and gift  shop.

Sources in Baghdad and Falluja  say Mr. Bush would  receive a warm
reception from local Iraqis. They  have asked to be provided  with
details of his arrival so that they  might arrange an  appropriate
welcome.