[lit-ideas] Re: Wall Street and Capitalism

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 22:07:09 +0100

Well we all did when America moved from defined pension plans more DIY pension plans. Even if reg'lar folk don't hold stock directly, their DIY pension funds do.

Obviously. Indeed, I 'hold stock' (held stock?) at one remove, through my pension fund's trustees. But that is not IMO the same as

PS>the tens of millions of people who
PS>lived beyond their means for years by taking advantage of something,
PS>which in the mind of anyone with rudimentary arithmetic skills, should
PS>have been (and indeed was) [predictably] going to collapse?

When stock trades cost a hundred dollars each,
working stiffs didn't buy stock.

I didn't realise they were nine dollars now. But let me ask again and push my true point again. Is buying a few shares as risky, as contributory to the current collapse, as buying houses at vastly inflated prices -- with large mortgages -- on the assumption that their 'worth'/market price would continue to rise and rise, something which, in the mind of anyone with rudimentary thinking skills and/or a memory longer than fifteen years, was patently untrue? Is taking -- under a lot of pressure from alleged experts -- an endowment mortgage as opposed to a repayment mortgage, as contributory? Is listening to one's bank manager and putting savings in higher interest 'low/medium risk' savings rather than lower interest plain savings accounts as risky (etc.)?

I am, I add, not guilty of any of these, indeed, I haven't even got more than £35,000 - the initially guaranteed amount --- in a straightforward savings account (which the bank can use to buy derivatives, of course..., but I refuse to feel either guliry about that or proud of banking with Boring Lloyds). But I venture to suggest that the polloi who did these things and so 'lived beyond their means for years' are not the truly guilty here, and some should not really be blamed at all. Whether they should all be bailed out is another matter; the British Government's full guarantee for all individual savings in Icesave has apparently been made not because those who invested more than £50000 are thought worthy of full redress, but because of a fear of a run on banks, of a confidence crash, should the guarantee not be granted.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ritchie" <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>