[lit-ideas] Re: Wahhaj's vision

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 06:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since "chauvinism" gets its name from Nicolas
> Chauvin, a character in Theodore and Hippolyte
> Cogniard's play "La Cocarde tricolore,"
>
> How could it have a Serbian spelling? Granted, you
> could spell the "ism" part as the French do, but
> how could you spell the 'Chauvin" part otherwise?

*Serbian, in theory it least, has phonetic spelling.
Words or names of foreign origin tend to be spelled as
they are pronounced rather than as they were
originally spelled. Actually it would be spelled:
"shovinizam."

I am sure that all kinds of devastating conclusions
about Balkan countries, Slavic cultures etc. could be
drawn from this.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com