[lit-ideas] Re: Wagner and Philosophy: Magee and Grice

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:20:19 +0000 (GMT)

I wasn't aware Magee was one of the list's favourite philosophers (and he is
not an original philosopher so much as an expositor and commentator): certainly
what he says about the 'linguistic turn' and other failings in academic
analytical philosophy in his Confessions of a Philosopher would seem to go
against the grain for most - unless perhaps you're a Popperian. Magee is clear
that there is more serious interest in philosophy outside the ranks of
professional philosophers than inside those ranks - these and other startling
claims are cogently defended in that very worthwhile book which I commend to
the list. (When he refers to most academic philosophers as 'metaphysical
flat-earthers' he uses a phrase that I had previously used myself - in Finals,
in a paper where I received a very low mark, which some will say serves me
right but which some will say shows the calibre of academic markers.)

What Magee says about Wagner is interesting but I found his book nowhere near
as interesting as I was expecting. But if you want an explanation of the 'fact'
that Wagner was essentially right about the sterility of Jewish culture in
terms of artistic creativity (an explanation that has nothing to do with
"anti-semitism" and everything to do with the negative impact of religious
orthodoxy and fundamentalism), Magee presents one and makes some compelling
points - a case btw that also attempts to explain why intellectuals with a
Jewish background [Wittgenstein, Popper, Freud, Einstein etc.] have had an
impact far in excess of what might seem proportionate given the number of
persons on the planet with such a Jewish background.

Popper speaks of  'The Greek Miracle' of Ancient Athens but Magee refers to
what might be called 'The Jewish Miracle', and perhaps we might discuss this as
well as the 'anti-semitic' Wagner (whose work Magee thinks profound but which
Popper detested).

Donal

London