[lit-ideas] Re: WTO and the Balance of Trade

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:53:28 -0400

But, car companies will go where labor (stationary) is cheap.
It's why they went to China.

You're describing the difference between "free trade" and "absolute trade."

In the classical free trade model, which is based on competing nations, a textile plant in Scotland competes against a textile plant in France. In the classical model, plant design, labor, and other national efficiencies compete.

In the "absolute trade" model, textile plants are dismantled in Scotland and France, their valuable parts shipped to China, their less valuable parts sold for scrap, their labor forces sacked, so that a single plant is created in Burma, using child labor, lower environmental standards, and a global distribution chain that uses the price point to force the goods on world markets.

Notice the difference. In absolute trade, it's a race to the bottom for efficiencies. Nations (i.e., labor pools, manufacturing capacities) are sacrificed for individual investment returns. Scotland does not compete with France; instead, a bunch of shareholders violently disrupt local and national life for ends that only serve their stock price. And who owns their stock? Third parties: Saudi princes, Dutch bankers, international consortiums, few or none of whom have any interest in the well being of France or Scotland.

Can't help it. I am a nationalist. I want the best for the USA and castigating a people who already work longer hours than any other for being "lazy" strikes me as blatant fascist nonsense.