[lit-ideas] WTO and War, was "The SCUD in a Box Scenario"

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:50:27 -0800

I read your polemic, Andreas, with interest.

I've been aware of the WTO since it was formed in 1995 during the Clinton
Administration.  It attempts to promote trade.  It attempts to lower trade
barriers.  It attempts to settles trade disputes.  But the WTO hasn't a
military; so of course it can't enforce its decisions; which it has a lot of
trouble arriving at.  Just like the U.N. it depends upon the cooperation of
the member states.   The WTO can't make members comply; however, each time
I've read about a WTO agreement, I've agreed with it.  I'm not one who
thinks we need trade barriers to protect our economy.

But note the subject of this train: the threat of a nuclear attack by Iran
and/or Al Queada; neither of which is in the WTO.  Can the WTO stop Iran
from giving a nuclear weapon to Al Quaeda?  Even if Iran were in the WTO,
and Iran has submitted an application, the WTO couldn't do anything about
their nuclear ambitions or their support of terrorist organizations.

Your polemic, unfortunately, was short on evidence.  I did a Google search
on the WTO and looked for some support for your views, but couldn't find
any. I did find the following article which mentions 30 nations seeking
membership in the WTO:
http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news05_e/acc_iran_sao_may05_e.htm

Here is an article critical of the WTO, calling it to account for matters it
wasn't intended to pursue, but notice its lack of control over or interest
in military issues: http://www.ratical.org/co-globalize/WTOandWar.html

Here is a poll indicating what Americans think of the WTO.  A majority favor
the WTO.  Critics think the WTO should be more concerned about the impact of
its decisions on the nations and not just upon business.
http://americans-world.org/digest/global_issues/intertrade/wto.cfm

Lawrence