[lit-ideas] WHAT I WANT TO KNOW.

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:37:33 -0500

I'm headed out in the morning to St. Louis to visit my two brothers who, it so
happens, live in St. Louis.  I've always been disappointed by St. Louis.  A
Catholic named city should have some Catholic traditions, like sin.  Catholics
love sin, that's why they (I almost said "we") invented confession.  You're a
bad, bad boy, "ego te absolvo, now go in peace and TRY to keep your hands to
yourself".  I love the Catholic Church.  You have to search high and low to
find any Protestant hymn that can even begin to compete with the simplest
Gregorian Chant.  And competition, of course, is what religion is all about.
God loves competitive sports or at least competitive choiring.  When I was in
St. Mary's Seminary, I was not allowed to join the Schola Cantorum because I
couldn't sing on key not even a well known melody, however the director of the
St. Mary's Glee Club was a Tennessean and he let me be in the Glee Club as long
as I promised to shut up whenever he signaled me.  I did, encouraged that
apparently, sometimes, I could be on key.  I've never been able to carry a
tune.  To me my singing sounds good, sounds lovely, sounds right on.  I must
have a very fecund imagination judging from other people's reactions.  Fuck
'em.  Singing's not about beauty, it's about exuberance.  It's about
celebration.  Except to others, apparently.  They want musicality.  Have I told
you lately how much I hate the world -- ah, that must bring a smile to Andy's
heart!  To be locked outside the sanctum sanctorum!  Music, my lovelies, is the
only real art.  All else is just plodding through verbull stuff.  Even
painting.  Painting's not art, not for most and maybe not even me, not until
you can verbullize what's going on.  Then, Ah ha! I see the artistry!

But then, this is all bullverizing.  I don't know shit from shinola about art
or philosophy or economics or psychology and almost absolutely nothing about
history or literature or sociology or theology or anygoddamnology.  I know a
few sentences, that's all.  And I know absolutely nothing about math -- just
ask Erin who's desperate for math majors -- I don't even know what I want.  Not
even that.  Except THAT -- that's all I know -- that I don't know what I want.
 So now I do know what I want!!!I want to know what I want!  Thank you, Baby
Jesus!  It only took me 62 years!

Happy weekend my friends,
Mike Geary