[lit-ideas] Re: Volodya, Kravitz, Roberts, and Poshlust

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:10:52 -0230

Don't mock the transcendental philosopher lest (s)he refuse any future request
of yours to borrow money from him/her.

Remember, even lowly empiricist philosophers such as Davie Hume had financial
assets that would make most of us blush. What he typically spent at an extended
evening in the pubs of Glascow on drinks for himself, Adam and their respective
escorts would equal a month's salary for most of our butlers.

You can therefore well imagine what the assets of a transcendental philosopher
would look like in comparison. Kant, for example, made an absolute fortune in
private tutoring and university teaching in Koenigsburg. That was how he was
able to subsidize his weekly extravagent socials at his home. (Reputedly,
according to his biographers, he was an excellent comedian, would you believe.

"Two empiricists walk into a bar ..."  (Suggestions?)

or, moving on to the 3rd Critique,  "What is the deal with 'common sense'
anyway? It's not at all common and most of it isn't at all sensible. It's like
Ovaltine.....")

Hristos Voskrese! (I know, I'm a tad early. But Prague beckons and I must run.)

Walter O