[lit-ideas] Re: Volo di Notte

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 07:10:09 -0400 (EDT)

in effetti dallapicoola non e' male non ha in verita' nemmeo di lontano inventato vol de niut quanto infatti G. verdi non hainventato rigoletto o V. Hugo..

speranza, speranza....

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 5/5/2009 6:33:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
palma@xxxxxxxx writes:
why on earth speranza, this jumble fo the title in  italian of a french
book?

---

why on heaven, you ask. To  honour you and your culture: Italia. I recently
learned there is an opera (my  current passion) thus called:

I learned about it in one of my favourite  opera reference books: the
Arnoldo Mondatori (Milano) "Repertorio della lirica  dal 1597". It's so
excellent
the operas are ONLY catalogued chronologically. So  this one is:

opera in one act by the GENIAL Luigi Dellapiccola (nato 1905  -- morto
1975).
Libretto by Dellapiccola, based on Saint-Exupery.

Prima: Teatro della Pergola (no less) Firenze, 18 maggio  1940.

CAST:

FRANCESCO VALENTINO
ANTONIO MELANDRI
Pauli,  Baldii
VINCENZO GUICCARDI.

Conductor: Fernando Previtali

The  action takes place in Buenos Aires, around 1930.

"This was the first time  dodecaphonic music was used in Italian opera"

----
In 1929, Saint  Exupéry moved to South America, where he was appointed
director of the Aeroposta  Argentina Company.,In "Vol de Nuit", the pilot is
lost (on the Patagonian plain)  while flying through a storm:

         "We don't ask to be  eternal. What we ask is not to see acts and
objects abruptly lose their meaning.  The void surrounding us then suddenly
yawns on every side."

Saint-Exupéry was little known before this out of the literary environment
(though André Gide supported him and wrote the foreword to the first
edition),  and as a result his name was made.

Later, he experienced visual and auditory hallucinations. The fable The
Little Prince begins with a pilot being marooned in the desert. On the evening
of 31 July 1944, he left from an airbase on Corsica, and was never seen
again. A  woman reported having watched a plane crash around noon of August
the first near  the Bay of Carqueiranne off Toulon. An unidentifiable body
wearing French colors  was found several days later and buried in Carqueiranne
that  September.

While "The Little Prince" _was_ made into an opera, I find it slightly
feminine for my taste (but pretty); and thought that by titling "Volo di Notte"
this, I might confuse Geary or Palma.

And don't you agree that 'invisible pour les yeux' _is_ 'tautological'?
Play with the expression till it loses all meaning.

Cheers,

JLS
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

?e ??, ?????e?? ?a?eda?µ?????? ? ? ? ?t? t?de
?e?µe?a, t??? ?e???? ??µas? pe???µe???.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.