[lit-ideas] Vollman, Merwin win NBA (no basketball)

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:51:54 -0500

Glad Vollmann won. He's been underappreciated. Plus Merwin was overdue. I have a poem in an anthology next to Merwin's. Now I can really feel special, provided I come up with rent money this month. -EY

_______

William T. Vollmann was a surprise winner in the fiction category for his novel of Nazi Germany and the former Soviet Union, "Europe Central." Pre-ceremony speculation had focused on E.L. Doctorow's Civil War novel, "The March."

"I thought I would lose, so I didn't prepare a speech," said Vollmann, an intense and prolific novelist and journalist who has never been able to shake a reputation as a cult writer.

<snip>

The poetry award went to W.S. Merwin for "Migration: New and Selected Poems." This year's National Book Award nomination was the eighth for Merwin, who could not attend the ceremony.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/16/AR2005111602610.html