[lit-ideas] Voilà la Différance!

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:17:00 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2004 7:56:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
M.G.  I've never understood a single word
Derrida's  said.

A.A. I've also tried him on a couple of occasions and  came to the conclusion
that Derrida didn't care enough about his reader to  take the trouble to
write as if anyone was going to read  him.

From an online source, below. The author opts to translate "differance" by
"deferral".

Cheers,

JL

-----

"Derrida adds to this sense of difference  his notion of "différance," a
neologism coming from the two senses of the French  word "différer": "to defer"
and "to differ." Take the  most straightforward example: how do I define the
word "love"?

I look it up in  the dictionary, which, unfortunately, is not full of all
sorts of wonderful  actual signifieds, but just provides me with a list of
other
possible  signifiers: "affection," "passion," "emotion," etc.

No matter how  hard I try, I can never make the signified present.

I am caught in an  endless chain of signifiers leading toward signifieds that
are in themselves  signifiers of other signfieds, and so on.

Therefore, the  condition of language itself is différance: the difference of
words  from one another and the endless "deferral" of what they mean, in the
sense of a fully present signified.