[lit-ideas] Re: "Vivere Non Necesse, Navigare Necesse": Loeb To Sale

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:14:28 -0800

“The only thing that caught my interest was the ISLE OF WIGHT, and the details
of the Cowes Regatta, and the fact that it's the oldest sailing club of them
all (The Squadron), and the fact that the Isle was once part of Hampshire
(pre-1974).”

My first boat was a West Wight Potter.  It was a little gunter-rigged 14-foot
boat built for pottering about in the heavy winds in the heavy North Sea.  I
thought it would be ideal as a diving platform and it was okay – as long as I
didn’t want to go too far in a day.  It tended to spend a lot of time hanging
in irons in the light winds off Southern California.  So I’d have to fire up
the old Seagull if I wanted to get any place.

Several years later I replaced the Potter with a Catalina 22, but shortly after
that my wife became too ill to sail and so I never got the use out of it I
expected.  In retrospect I should have kept the Potter.  When I bought the
house I retired to I had the option of paving a drive-way and making space for
an RV.  I could easily have had my Potter there – and even though there is no
decent sailing or diving seas nearby, I could have gone down there from time to
time and climbed up inside and read some of those books you are talking about.

I knew people in the Marinas who never went out to sea.  They loved cleaning
and polishing their boats and didn’t need to use them.  There is something to
be said for that.

Lawrence