[lit-ideas] Visions of Dylan

  • From: Jack Spratt <dosflounder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:46:49 -0700 (PDT)

I am reading a book by Christopher Ricks ?Dylan?s Visions of Sin? in which the
author, a recognized literary scholar, claims that Dylan?s songs/poems should
be considered with the same amount of seriousness as other poets in the
pantheon of literature. If there are any members of this list that teach or
have a more sophisticated background in literature than the Spratt I would
appreciate their opinion on this. Are Dylan?s poems studied in any literature
class along with T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound, or is he just considered a bard? I
see him on a continuum from Whitman to Poe to Kerouac to Ginsberg, but never
considered him in the same group as Marlow (Faustus / Dr. Filth) or Swinburne
(Dolores / Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands) until now. What do you think about
the former Blind Boy Grunt??

  J.S.
  Yippee! I?m a poet, and I know it
  Hope I don?t blow it
  (I Shall Be Free No. 10)

J.S.

The one thing we lack is a handy utopia.

countries) for 2¢/min or less.