[lit-ideas] Re: Virtue Ethicists & Relishing Cubans ("It's a cookbook!")

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:05:39 -0330

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

snip
> The first part of this exhortation I don't understand at all; but
> perhaps the person who loved the smell of cigars was Foot's friend
> Elizabeth Anscombe, who smoked them with relish.
>
> Robert Paul
> The Reed Institute

I may have confused Anscombe with Foot; all the Aristotelian virtue-ethicists
are located in the same module of my cerebral cortex. One of them wrote an
essay awhile back in which she bemoaned the exclusion of women from a
"gentlemen only" faculty lounge. She was considering this as a maxim in Kant's
sense, I believe. Can't remember at which university, but it could have been
Oxford. RP surely knows and will enlighten us on the details. He may even have
smoked Cubans in that very lounge. (And applied the relish liberally :-)

Christmas greetings to one and all.

Walter O.
MUN