[lit-ideas] Victor Hanson in Iraq ... me for Kentucky

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:18:13 -0500

>>We caused the mess in Iraq.

I'm not disagreeing. That's the current majority opinion. Hanson does a good job of presenting it, no?

Here's a question: what would have worked? I can imagine two postmortem plans that would have worked, had we known what was really going on. Maybe you want to play this fantasy game.

(1) We could have put the entire army in Iraq at the beginning of the invasion and stabilized the place.

(2) After 9/11, we could have begun to build up the army. EU/Russia/China, driven by oil deals and bribery, were pushing for an end to sanctions back then, remember? Bush countered with the invasion plan, which changed the game from end/don't end sanctions to invade/don't invade.

At this point, we could have stalled. Let the various rounds of inspectors go in -- all the while building up the army -- and then invaded in 2005 with a large force. Even if we didn't invade at that point, we could have kept the sanctions (which we now know worked) in place by threatening to invade.