[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:58:32 +0100

Eric Yost schrieb:
Joerg notes my "continued talking about building up armies, threatening, invading, bombing, your openly shown satisfaction with "Islamists" being body-counted..."

(...)
and I might add that, when I translate the neocon war liturgy into German, it gives me the same sort of embarrassment as when I watch old WWII Wochenschaus, the same sneering howl, the same disdainful triumph, the same "eviva la muerte!" lust for death and destruction - and the same hybris, the same lack of self-reflection... what can I say, hearing this tone from people I have known and appreciated for so long just makes me sick
"We are at war."
(.....)
The people of the Soviet Union were defending their country against a powerfull and reckless aggression. They had no choice. This is not the same for the deliberate aggressor: whoever "we" is supposed to mean in this case, "we are at war" translates to "we've started committing this crime, and now we've got to stay the course."

Where's Sokrates, now that he's needed?
joerg,

fromSuebia