[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:45:38 -0500

Joerg notes my "continued talking about building up armies, threatening, invading, bombing, your openly shown satisfaction with "Islamists" being body-counted..."

After giving a recital in Moscow in 1943, Maria Yudina went backstage and Sviatoslav Richter, visiting, asked her why she was playing the Bach preludes and fugues (from WTC II) as she did. "Why so loud?" he asked, "Why so fast?"

"Well," she replied, vexed as though she were having to state the obvious, "We are at war."