[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:04:36 -0500

Joerg: As you said when confronted with the death of about half a million of these Untermenschen in Mesopotamia, "Why not make them millions?"

Eric: That was a reference to Andreas' use of unsupported statistics, not to the value of human life. Further you find yourself disagreeing with your countryman Wolfgang Schivelbusch, whose _The Culture of Defeat: On National Trauma, Mourning, and Recovery_ I cited.

______
History seems to us an arena of instincts and fashions, of appetite, avarice, and craving for power, of blood lust, violence, destruction, and wars, of ambitious ministers, venal generals, bombarded cities, and we too easily forget that this is only one of its many aspects. Above all we forget that we ourselves are a part of history, that we are the product of growth and are condemned to perish if we lose the capacity for further growth and change. We are ourselves history and share the responsibility for world history and our position in it. But we gravely lack awareness of this responsibility. -Hesse in that nutty _Das Glasperlenspiel_ book.