[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:50:18 -0800

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

In one of the paradigms used to explain this modern world, Samuel P.
Huntington breaks it down into well-known segments called "Civilizations."

Huntington's idea of "civilizations" doesn't make sense when applied to specific areas. "India," for example, doesn't fit into Huntington's categories.

But Huntington's civilizations are irrelevant to this issue. Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld did not invade Iraq with Huntington's thesis in mind.

To put it another way, there may well be wars that fit into Huntington's ideas, but the Iraq war isn't one of them.

Way back after 9/11 I speculated about whether Bush would have the fortitude to engage in an effective war against Militant Islam before the Leftists stopped him.

The "Leftists" didn't stop Bush; they had zero effect. Bush stopped himself by making such a mess of it that the war was lost.

Bush hammered both the Taliban in Afghanistan and Saddam and his Baathists in
Iraq.

That's all very nice for Mr. Bush, but the result is a huge disaster for the USA. If you use hand grenades to get rid of mice in the rafters, would you consider it a victory when the house is in smoking ruins? No mice, yes, but no roof either.

We retaliated for their 9/11 by much more destruction than they perpetrated
upon the U.S.

So by attacking a country that had nothing to do with 9.11 and killing 500,000 people, we won... what?

We've completely lost our credibility, both morally and politically, including our military credibility. The North Koreans thumb their nose at the US. Bush did this all by himself, cheered on by you and others. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com