[lit-ideas] Re: Verging on Popper

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:19:18 -0700

Torgeir just sent some thoughts on Adam Gopnik and Karl Popper. Over a
dozen years ago, Gopnik wrote something about Popper, which originally
appeared  the April 1 2002, of *The New Yorker.* This is the article to
which Torgeir refers.

I posted a link to it to whatever list we were then, and commented on some
of Gopnik's remarks, which were not entirely about Popper's thought, but
also about Popper himself, drawn from conversations between them. Gopnik
did not present Popper as an easygoing, tolerant man.

This drew a caustic reply from Donal, who sent the list a sharp response,
upbraiding both Gopnik, and me; Gopnik for his uninformed bigotry, and
me—well, me for my gullibility, if not worse.

Here's the link again.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/04/01/the-porcupine

Robert Paul