[lit-ideas] Vegetarian -- and Metalinguistic Negation

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:08:32 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/2004 5:19:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Scribe1865@xxxxxxx writes:
http://www.monpa.com/index.html
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love  animals, I'm a vegetarian because
hate plants." -  A.  Whitney Brown
-----

Interesting case of 'metalinguistic' negation, as L. Horn calls  it.

"I'm not a vegetarian" suggests that A. Whitney Brown is _not_ a  vegetarian.
The continuation of the phrase, "because ..." does not then _negate_
'vegetarian', but one of the alleged reasons why A. Whitney Brown _may be_  one.

It's like, "Why I'm a Vegetarian".

On the other hand, the title to Bertrand Russell's book, "Why I'm not a
Christian" is _not_ metalinguistic, since Bertrand Russell was _not_ a
Christian.

Strictly, in terms of punctuation, I believe the quotation should go:

    "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals;
     I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

-- i.e. a ";" or a "." seems to work better than a simple "," --  right?

Cheers,

JL