[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret/Sting enters the fray

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:45:16 +0100 (BST)

Something perhaps of interest from the Fratley Examiner, Yorkshire, England
(not on-line):-

"Sting, who has spent a fair bit of the previous decade with South American
tribes at least some of which appear to have stuck a cd permanently in their
lower lip [though we doubt Sting is bad mannered enough to ask "Is that 'The
Dream of the Blue Turtles' in there? - and if so can I have it back?"], has
apparently suggested he might revise some Police material into a tribute cd
to the dissident nuclear scientist recently released by the Israeli
government after 18 years.

The suggestions, for a forthcoming Nelson Mandela tribute concert, centre on
rewrites of some the Police's most famous material into a complex medley.

'Then he was sent to an Israeli college/
Where they filled his mind/ With useful, albeit highly-technical, nuclear
knowledge/
Though by his brain and dissident activities/ They would want to have
bit-mapped him/
When he spilled the beans to fat boy Maxwell/ The Mossad they kidnapped him/

Vanunu-nu, Vanunu-na/ That's all I want to to say to you/
Vanunu-nu, Vanunu-no/ This whole world looks ready to blow/

So lonely/So lonely/
I feel so lonely/
In solitary fucking confinement for most of 18 years/
Of course I fucking do/

Every little thing Israel does is magic/
That some anti-semites somehow deny it is simply tragic/

Keep it up/o-yo-yo-yo..../"

Donal
Walking on the moon
OK?